Skip to main content

Morning Glory

I don't want to write about the world.
How could I write meaningful phrases
About a place I hardly know?
I've sailed across oceans, sure.
I've visited the greatest cities built.
But the world?
I see people who have been there.
They exit as I enter;

Their days begin at the end of mine.
They sit near me at the cafe, in groups,
With things to say.
They speak to others in the world;
That's the difference.
They connect to each other with words,
Sentences stretching out like elastic strings,
Or gravitational membranes
Bending in space and drawing back pieces
That they can keep, suck in like smoke,
Then breathe into others they know.
Nothing I do is like that.
They have energy and memory.
They remember laughter
And the remembering revives it,
Renewed like morning glories.
I think that's what the world is.
I think that's what I mean.

Comments

Di Mackey said…
I love the imagery in this, and the thinking revealed. Nice work!
Patent attorney said…
I love the tensions you explore in writing about not writing! It's very "meta", and I like the way you eventually find some kind of meaning, and it's through writing about it, vindicating writing as a great medium for exploration and philosophy.

Popular posts from this blog

Dawn in an Hour

Dawn is in an hour;
in a night.
A light on the long street
on the grey river,
on a long walk of broken clays.
It takes only a streetlight
to bare the sighs,
the yawn of dark alleys,
of quiet honesty;
the great peace
of telling without cause,
without want.
The arm stretches
and guides the body;
the body doubles its warmth.
Laughter snaps
against brick and glass,
and the eyes combine;
heart combines with heart.
And dawn is in the hour,
in the night.

The Day My Brother Flew

The day my brother flew,
I prayed for the last time;
Asked for his acceptance,
A chance to say goodbye.
Stood inside the chapel,
Whispered through the motions,
Knowing in my chest
I did not believe.
Months gone from that day,
I stood inside a basement,
Staring out the window,
Chainlink in my eyes.
A host of white lights came,
Gathered right beside me,
Waited till I turned,
Slowly sank away.
I never told my folks.
They could not believe it.
I don't know what I saw,
If I’m lying to myself.
The day my brother flew,
I sat down on a stairstep,
Fingers in my hair,
Asking why I breathe.
He lived and enjoyed life.
I don’t even like it.
That was '91;
The answer never came.

When I See It

I don’t believe in time.
There's much more world left;
So much more to learn,
And I don’t believe in time.
I believe in shadow birds flying
Through the green of mown grass
Under the squint-bright sun;
An ocean dappled with clouds
And the white sails of small boats
Crossing my shoulder;
A thousand dynamic blooms
That I can’t name, speaking
With voices of children
And laughing as they pass;
The reassuring chatter
Of great wooden beasts
That sermonize patience
And continuity.
But I don’t believe in time
Or the limits it implies.
I don’t believe in the failure
Of the manifest soul.
I don’t believe death will result
From the cessation of habits
That feed my blood,
Because I won't believe
In a future nothingness
That I can’t see from here.